Wednesday, February 7, 2007

No Time

Well unfortunately this week I have had hardly anytime at all to spend on my project, been busy trying to get my CSE121 project done which just seems to take forever. As such i have been unable to do any more work on the motion estimation side of the project this week.


What time I have had ive spent playing around with the forward model that I have been using. As one of the next steps in the project I was aiming to test out the super-resolution approach on images that have been decimated using a different method, e.g. images I haven’t decimated my self using my own forward model.


In order to acquire the low resolution images I continued to use the same high resolution image that I used for the previous tests. In order to acquire the low resolution input frames I repeatedly shifted the images and then applied the matlab image resize command with the resize method set to bilinear.


Once these low resolution frames had been acquired I then attempted to reconstruct the original high resolution image, using my own forward model. I performed the reconstruction several times each time adjusting the forward model i was using slightly, i have included a selection of results that i obtained. I have also improved the function i have written to create the decimation matrix to enable me to perform decimation using nearest neighbour as well as bilinear interpolation.


Attempt 1

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0.5, Decimation = Bilinear

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.1658

Conclusions: Looking at the error value and the reconstructed image it can clearly be seen that the forward model is incorrect, as the reconstructed image doesn't resemble the original image at all.

Attempt 2

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0.25, Decimation = Bilinear

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.0289

Attempt 3

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0 (no bluring), Decimation = Bilinear

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.0052

Conclusions: Low Error and the reconstructed image looks similar to the original high res image

Attempt 4

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0.5, Decimation = nearest neighbour

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.5919

Attempt 5

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0.25, Decimation = nearest neighbour

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.0221

Attempt 6

Forward Model Settings:

Gaussian Blur sig = 0 (no bluring), Decimation = nearest neighbour

Reconstructed Image:

Error = 0.0078




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tom,

Very interesting blog. I'm currently working on something similar at work. Can you tell me what method you use to in-fill the up-sampled image from the downsamples?

Thanks,

R.